I served them on top of and alongside a very pungent garlic-mashed cauliflower dish. Also totally tasty and complimentary to the Kale - while I don't have a picture of the cauliflower, I might just throw it in at the bottom as a "bonus" recipe for you faithful readers. Enjoy!
Bag or bunch of kale - if you buy it precut and washed it is much faster
Balsamic Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Preheat the oven to 400 deg. F.
- If using whole kale, roughly cut the kale into pieces and wash well.
- Place the kale into a bowl or baking dish and toss with the oil and vinegar, or do like I did: place in the baking dish and drizzle with the oil and vinegar.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, stir to keep from burning and allow the kale to get crispy all over. Bake for an extra 8 to 10 minutes. If the kale is still soft at the edges when you stir it, it needs more time; it should be crunchy when it's done.
- Remove from oven and add salt. The salt will help keep it from being bitter.
Eat this hearty little snack to get some Vitamins, including: K, A, C, manganese, fiber, copper, tryptophan, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, E, Omega-3s, B2, protein, B1, folate, phosphorus, and B3 and almost no calories!
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
One to two heads cauliflower or bag of frozen
One to two cloves of garlic, minced
Dash of olive oil or 2 Tbsp. butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 c. Soy Milk, "Regular" Milk or Table Cream (optional)
- Boil the cauliflower for about 5 - 7 minutes or until very soft. Drain
- Mix in the milk, olive oil or butter, salt and pepper and garlic. The raw garlic will boost your autoimmune system and also give this dish a decided kick. Leave the garlic out if you're not cooking for that type of folk!
- Mash the whole up with a potato masher or in a food processor of some sort.
The cauliflower won't have quite the same consistency as regular mashed potatoes, and will be a tad "grainy" in comparison but the health value is worth the trade-off. It doesn't have too strong of that cauliflower taste so it can be a good substitute for your starchier potatoes if that is a concern for you. Paired with the Kale Crisps above, it is just "WOW" delicious!