Monday, March 12, 2012

Recipe Day: (Vegan!) Early Morning Scramble

I cannot take much credit for this recipe but my kids eat. it. up. It is one of few recipes which I don't change the recipe... much. I add curry powder, cumin and maybe some soysage (Aren't I clever? Get it: Soysage?? Well, my kids would laugh - and roll their eyes!)  Even if you have never tried tofu before, if you eat eggs, I would really encourage you to try this recipe - it is super-healthy and truly delicious, not to mention, it takes ten minutes to make!


The original recipe comes from the book La Dolce Vegan! by Sarah Kramer, whom I believe also has a blog, though it appears to be based on her little odds-and-ends (yardsale?) shop and not so much on vegan cuisine. Oh well, her recipes are good even if the pictures are a bit kooky and off-putting. Here is the recipe for

Early Morning (Tofu) Scramble
Makes 2 large or 4 small servings

1 Onion, chopped
Olive Oil for frying
1 lb. Extra-Firm Tofu, crumbled*
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes

1 Tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp Turmeric
     or 1/4 tsp Turmeric, plus 1/2 tsp. Curry Powder^
1/2 tsp Cumin^
1 tsp Sage
1/4 tsp Basil
1/4 tsp Salt (iodized is best if you don't eat a lot of processed foods - trust me there is a story behind my knowledge of this!)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1 Medium Tomato, roughly chopped
2 Veggie-Sausage Patties, cooked and roughly chopped^

Directions

Saute the onion until it is translucent in a frying pan. In a medium sized bowl, crumble the tofu and mix in all of the remaining ingredients except the tomato. Alternately, I add the ingredients directly to the pan, saving the tofu for last, then crumble the tofu over the mix and stir it in. I'm a one-pot kind of gal! Mix all of the ingredients together, however you take it, and put it in the frying pan. Let the tofu cook on medium heat, allowing it to lightly brown on the bottom before folding over occasionally to allow another section to cook in the same way. The liquid should have evaporated out by the end as well. Mix in the chopped tomato and serve - with toast and hash browns or sauteed mushrooms (a treat we enjoyed at breakfasts in Ireland!) if you like.

* It's even better if you can find the tofu that has been sprouted first - Safeway sells it, I know - it has about twice the protein that "regular" tofu does
† These are good to have for their health value but if you don't have them it's not a deal breaker. Ground flax seed works too and so does leaving them out - they don't really have a flavor that I've noticed. They do add a complete protein element as well as B-complex vitamins if you're following a vegan diet these are important!)
^ Optional



Shared at:
Jesse Wilcox Smith~ On His Knee




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...