Monday, April 8, 2013

How to Evaluate the Quality of an Essential Oil

Use this checklist to evaluate the quality of your essential oils...
Used with permission from Stacy McDonald of Common Scents Mom.

Most essential oils on the market are not "therapeutic grade," and most are not 100% pure, regardless of how they are labeled. The problem is that these terms are not regulated by anyone. So, all we can do is tell you what we mean when we use the term "therapeutic grade," and then invite you to compare that definition to other companies. In fact, as far as I know, Young Living is the only company that has its own farms and distilleries. That alone potentially disqualifies other companies.



It is important to be very careful because many essential oils on the market are actually toxic, since some contain synthetic fragrances, or they are cut with other chemicals to lower the cost not only of production, but of what they sell it to the consumer for.

By this point, you might be saying to yourself, "What is the problem with a lower cost? I love to get a good deal!"

Here are a few red flags to check for on a bottle of essential oils. If you see these terms, I strongly recommend looking to another brand.

1. "DO NOT INGEST": If a bottle of food-based oils (cinnamon, peppermint, oregano, lavender, etc.) is labeled this way, it is a no-go for me. Young Living oils labeled as "supplements" are Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) for internal consumption by the FDA

and THIS oil is meant to go on the skin. Not sure
what's in it, but I'll mix my own, thanks!
2. "DO NOT APPLY TO SKIN UNDILUTED": Certain "spicy" oils should be diluted, oregano tends to get too warm for many people to apply neat/undiluted to the skin, however, many Young Living oils are safe for neat application even when they get warmer. So for example, my children use peppermint for their runny noses, just as I do, but when putting peppermint on my children, I mix it with a drop or two of olive oil because it feels too hot for their skin; when I put peppermint on my own skin, I usually don't take the time to dilute the oil, but instead apply it neat, directly under my nose.

3. OVERALL COST: Quality essential oils cost a lot of money to grow and distill. It takes a huge amount of plant matter to make each drop of oil, much less a whole bottle! If a bottle of Lavender costs you $5 or $10, you can bet it is either combined with a carrier oil (and probably says, "do not ingest") or it's very poor quality. Either way, you're getting the short end of the deal.

4. EXPIRATION DATE: Properly stored essential oils (excluding citrus oils) do not go bad. If an essential oil has an expiration date, it probably means it is mixed with something else that affects its longevity and is not good for you to use as a therapeutic-quality oil.

That lower cost for a cut-rate oil comes at the expense of your health. If you want to get good oils at a wholesale price, I can show you how to do just that. Click on the link to look at the selection of oils that Young Living sells. And remember: If you sign up as a wholesale customer, I'll give you a free reference book for how to use your oils effectively and change your medicine cabinet for the good of your family!


** This information is provided for educational purposes only. If you have medical concerns that you're dealing with, I urge you to consult your doctor for proper medical advice, as I am not a trained physician, just a mom of five doing the best for her family and working to help make the lives of others a better place to be. **

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...